Sigmoidoscopy, also known as flexible sigmoidoscopy, is a procedure that allows doctors to examine the sigmoid colon and rectum.
Your doctor or medical practitioner can recommend a sigmoidoscopy exam due to the following reasons:
– Rectal bleeding.
– Change in bowel habits.
– Persistent abdominal pain.
– Chronic diarrhea.
– Sudden or unexplained weight loss.
– Screening for colon or rectal cancer.
– Family history of colon or rectal cancer.
– To investigate for inflammatory bowel disease.
– Screening for polyps.