Breast cancer spreads through different stages which are described below:
- Stage I: The tumor is restricted to the breasts and is not larger than 2 cm in diameter.
- Stage II: Tumour size is about 5 cm and it spreads to the lymph nodes located below the arm.
- Stage III: The tumors spread to the lymph nodes and the adjoining breast tissues.
- Stage IV: In this stage, the tumor spreads to other organs such as lungs, liver or bones.
The following diagnostic tests are recommended for breast cancer patients:
- Mammogram or breast X-ray ( to detect breast changes)
- Breast ultrasound (to detect differences between solidified masses and fluid-filled cysts)
- Breast MRI
- Ductogram or Galactogram ( to analyze causes of abnormal nipple discharge)