Since Agave nectar is marketed as a low glycemic index sweetener, there are numerous other alternatives available in the market which is far more beneficial.
- Xylitol is a polyol (sugar alcohol) that looks and tastes like sugar and can be used in equal measurements.
- It has low amounts of calories, which is effective in weight control.
- Stevia is a sweetener, which is produced from the plant Stevia rebaudiana.
- Stevia is known to contain several phytochemical compounds which can help control blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressure.
- Maltitol is known as an artificial sweetener.
- It is sugar alcohol.
- Maltitol is used in the preparation of cough syrups, tonics, and vitamin preparations due to the low-calorie content and since it does not ferment.