An overdose of caffeine triggers headaches in many people. The pain usually starts from the back of the eye and gradually travels upwards towards the front side of the forehead. The caffeine-related headaches are often mild to severely painful depending upon the causes. A caffeine-related headache can be experienced by anyone who takes a regular dosage of caffeine.
How does Caffeine related Headache occur?
Caffeine acts on the CNS(Central Nervous System) as a stimulant since it belongs to the Methylxanthine group. These stimulants play the following roles:
- Metabolism gets speeded up
- Urine production is increased
- Helps in the improvement of digestion
- Increased rate of heart
- Increases the level of alertness
- The physical performance is highly enhanced
- Some compounds derived from caffeine are also used for treating certain cancers.
- Chronic headaches and migraines
- Depression and anxiety
- Panic attacks
- Loss of memory
- Irregular heartbeat
- Fatigue and tiredness
- Extreme Jitters
- Pain in the chest
- Feeling of numbness in the face, hand and feet
- Muscle pain
- Shortness of breath
The procedures which are most commonly used for the diagnosis of the caffeine Related Headaches are as follows
(i) CT Scan : CT Scan helps in producing a clear image of the cross-section of the body in a computer by using the X-rays.
(ii) MRI : Magnetic Resonance Imaging is the method that is used for producing clear pictures or images of the brain with a large magnet and Radiofrequency(RF).
(iii) Blood test: The blood test is very helpful in determining the amount of caffeine in the blood of an individual.
(iv) Urine analysis: Urine analysis can also be used for detecting the levels of caffeine in the body.
- Rehydration is a very common way of chasing away headaches.
- Resting and sleeping are the best ways to find relief from headaches.
- Taking OTC(Over the Counter) pain reliever helps in the treatment of the Caffeine Related Headache.
- Using a cold compress such as ice packs helps in reducing pain.
The prevention methods of the Caffeine Related Headache are:
- Stop overdosing on caffeine
- Rehydrate a lot
- Be very cautious while administering the OTC(Over The Counter) medications.
- People who are more sensitive to caffeine should be having a controlled intake of caffeine.
- The individuals who are caffeine allergic should completely avoid the intake of coffee.